Love is the spirit of our society and the foundation of our seven principles. This covenant offers guideposts to help us value one another as individuals, and work together to strengthen our beloved community.
Honoring our principles and the spirit of love, we covenant to:
- Encourage and respect all voices: young and old, shy and bold, agreeing and disagreeing as we serve our congregational mission.
- Make space for words and silence, the humorous and the serious, and an array of ideas in our conversations.
- Join in our democratic processes and accept our community’s decisions, even when they differ from our own.
- Give fairly of our time, talent, and treasure.
- Acknowledge each other’s good works and efforts.
- Celebrate our joys and achievements.
- Listen to one another with our hearts and minds.
- Communicate with clarity and patience, recognizing that we may be misunderstood.
- Remember that disagreement and conflict are natural and necessary in order to learn and grow.
- Address conflicts that need resolution directly with those involved, assuming best intentions and seeking mutually beneficial solutions.
- Respect and maintain our relationships, especially if we have trouble resolving a conflict, and seek help from agreed upon resources, such as the Committee on Ministry.
- Support each other when we fall short of this covenant, and return to it as soon as we recognize that we’ve strayed.
- Remind ourselves to live this covenant, and revisit it for revision and updates as often as needed.
- This we covenant together, remembering always the bonds of love that join us and the vision of the future that we share.
Approved by the congregation at our annual meeting on 5-22-11